Our senior team
Professor Mark Coleman (MBChB FRCS MD honFRCPSG FFSTRCSEd)
Mark is a co-founder and Director of Lapco. He is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon with over 20 years experience in surgical training.
Mark has been a Colorectal Consultant and Consultant Surgeon in Plymouth, UK since 2001, specialising in Laparoscopic surgery for colorectal cancer.
Mark was the lead clinician for the NHS England National Training Programme in laparoscopic colorectal surgery from 2008-2014. He delivers lectures and training in laparoscopic colorectal surgery, both nationally and internationally.
He is the current chairman of JAG, the UK national Joint Advisory Group for GI endoscopy.
In 2010, Mark launched the charity ‘Bowel Cancer West’ to support research, awareness and training of bowel cancer.
- Chair of JAG (Joint Advisory Group for GI Endoscopy)
- National Advisor to the NHS England Enhanced Recovery and low rectal cancer (LoReC)a National Training Programmes.
- Editorial Advisory Board for Colorectal Diseases Journal
- Chairman of External Affairs for the Association of Coloproctologists of Great Britain and Ireland
Tom Cecil – (BM, FRCS MD)
Tom is a co-founder and Director of Lapco. He is a Consultant Colorectal Surgeon with nearly 20 years experience in surgical training.
Tom has been a Consultant colorectal Surgeon, since 2002, specialising in laparoscopic colorectal surgery and peritoneal malignancy surgery. Since 2011 he has been Clinical Director of the Peritoneal Malignancy Institute in Basingstoke, one of the largest centres in the world in the treatment of peritoneal cancers.
He has lectured extensively nationally and internationally on laparoscopic colorectal surgery and peritoneal malignancy and presented and published on both subjects.
In 2003, Tom set up the Peripherique laparoscopic training courses with laboratory skills courses, clinical workshops and hands on clinical immersion courses. In conjunction with Frimley park hospital he ran one of the Lapco training centres for laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
- Faculty member of National MDT/TME training programme
- Danish MDT laparoscopic training programme
- European laparoscopic masterclass
- Chair of the CSCCN Colorectal Network Site specific group
- Lead Clinician for the International Colorectal cancer Improvement programme
- Medical Advisory board (Bowel Cancer UK).
- Council of ACPGBI
Ed is CEO of Lapco. He is an experienced executive with 13 years experience in the commercial education and healthcare sectors.
Ed is your first point of contact if you are looking to partner with Lapco and is tasked with growing the business and overseeing all operations.
Ed has worked in Sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe, East Asia, Turkey and the Middle East for Kaplan Inc. He was CEO of regional Bowel Cancer West and has since taken a position as a Trustee.
He is passionate to make the benefits of minimally invasive surgery available to more patients after Laparoscopic surgery saved his stepfather following a stage 3 bowel cancer diagnosis.