Professor Copaescu pioneered minimally invasive surgery in Romania in the early 90’, after 2000 he introduced laparoscopic bariatric surgery in his country and contributed to the regional development and extension of all the video-assisted metabolic procedures. To-date he has performed more than 10.000 bariatric operations, primary and revisions. He is the director of the Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery in PONDERAS ACADEMIC HOSPITAL designated by IFSO-EC (2011) and SRC (2014) where-in 1000 metabolic procedures are yearly performed.
Currently Professor Copaescu serves as Head of the Minimal Invasive Gastrointestinal and Metabolic Surgery Department in PONDERAS ACADEMIC HOSPITAL (PAH), Bucharest, Romania. Medical DIRECTOR of PAH. He is also Executive Director of the Bucharest Surgical Training Institute (STI) – organizing training programs for minimal invasive video-assisted procedures (endoscopic and robotic assisted): hands-on training courses, live surgery demonstrations, clinical immersions, and workshops with international attendance.
- President of the Romanian of Romanian Society for Metabolic Surgery (since 2020)
- IFSO-EC -Member of the Educational &Training Committee
- Director of the International Symposium of Bariatric & Metabolic Surgery, (yearly organized in Bucharest since 2008)
- EAES – Executive Board Member
- Active member of ASMBS, RAES, IFSO, EAES, AHS, ESCP, ESGE, IASGO, ESPEN.