Austin Acheson has been a Consultant Colorectal and Laparoscopic surgeon in Nottingham since 2005. He trained in Belfast, Oxford and St Mark’s. He has a particular interest in laparoscopic colorectal surgery/ Inflammatory Bowel Disease/ Colorectal Cancer and benign conditions of the anus (Haemorrhoids, fistulae, fissures).
Austin has over 15 years of experience in medical education. He has been involved in the internationally renowned LAPCO national training programme from its inception. Since 2010 he has been involved in developing and delivering the LAPCO Training the Trainers courses throughout the UK and the rest of the world. He has taught on over 25 courses during this period. He is on the Intercollegiate Board of Examiners for the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh and has published over 200 peer reviewed papers on all aspects of colorectal disease.
- Association of Coloproctology of GB&I (ACPGBI) Executive (2017-20)
- Chair of the Research and Audit committee of ACPGBI (2017-2020)
- Trustee of the Bowel Disease Research Foundation Charity(2017-2020)
- Grants award committee of Bowel Research UK Charity (2020-23).
- Undergraduate lead for Surgical education at the University of Nottingham
- Intercollegiate Speciality examiner in General Surgery for the Royal College of Surgeons (2021- present)